Chakradharpur is a city and a municipality in West Singhbhum district in the state of Jharkhand. It is located on the Chhota Nagpur Plateau. The town serves the mineral rich areas of Jharkhand and Orissa, as well as the cement, steel and limestone industries in the region. Earlier this area was a part of Gajapati Empire of Orissa. The major languages spoken in this area are Hindi, Oriya, Urdu, Punjabi, Bengali & Tribal languages like Ho. All connected village people speaks Oriya.
Major inhabitants of the town are Railway employees. It has a large share of area covered with Railway establishments, primarily employee quarters. It has scenic views and secluded landscapes in the periphery.
In Indian Independence perspective, Chakradharpur had been the place for freedom fighters like Raja Chakradhar Singh Deo, Jagabandhu Pattanayak (Jaggu Dewan),Pandit Gopabandhu Dash, Pundit Godabarish Mishra, Rahim Bux and Fakeer Chand supporting Gandhi ji for his non-Cooperation movement and Khilafat Movement by Maulana Mazharul Haque against British in 1920. This is one of the Railway subdivisions generating huge profits in goods freight sector. It is also known as CKP being the short-time home for former Indian President V V GIRI and having achieved the pride of providing hospitality and shelter to Gandhi Ji, Dr Rajendra Prasad, Harivansh Rai Bachchan. It is the divisional headquarters of South Eastern Railway with a huge historical touch of tribal area of Chhotanagpur. It is also one of the safest cities from seismic activities, volcanoes, and floods. It has a cosmopolitan culture and the people speak different languages.
Chakradharpur is an exemplary peaceful city with a mix of all cultures. It is close to three major industrial cities of Jamshedpur, Ranchi and Rourkela; close to boundaries of two neighboring states Orissa and West Bengal. It is enriched with huge amount of natural resources like rivers, mountain valleys, and forest reserves.
This small city is well connected with both road and rail. Ranchi, Chaibasa, Jamshedpur and Rourkela and all neighbouring towns are connected with road(except Rourkela). Chakradharpur is the divisional headquarter of the South Eastern Railway. The first rail line on Chakradharpur Division was opened on 22 January 1890 with laying of 72.25 miles (116.28 km) long Purulia-Chakradharpur rail line. The rail network on the main trunk route passing through Chakradharpur division was completed on 18 February 1891 when Goilkera-Jharsuguda section was opened. With the opening of Goilkera-Jharsuguda section the main line route of Bengal Nagpur Railway (BNR) was completed and the official function for the opening ceremony of main line from Asansol to Nagpur, presided by the Viceroy of India, Lord Lansdowne was held at Chakradharpur station on 3 March 1891.
Located on the Howrah-Mumbai arm of the golden quadrilateral of the Indian Railways, Chakradharpur division plays a vital role on the South Eastern Railway. Strategically situated in the heart of Chota Nagpur plateau, Chakradharpur division serves the mineral and industrially rich areas of Jharkhand and Orissa. It is spread over East and West Singhbhum, Saraikela-Kharsawan, Simdega of Jharkhand and Jharsuguda, Keonjhar,Sundargarh and Mayurbhanj districts of Orissa. In this division lies the main corridor of freight and passenger traffic between eastern and western parts of the country. This region is aptly called the Heart of South Eastern Railway. The development of the rail network in the area presently forming Chakradharpur division dates back to the original of Bengal-Nagpur Railway, the precursor of South Eastern Railway. The first rail line in the area serving Chakradharpur division was laid way back in 1890. Presently Chakradharpur division extends over a length of 741.705 route-km of which 335.798 route-km are located over the state of Jharkhand and 405.907 KM. The main line portion of the division extends over the Salgajhari-Jharsuguda portion covering a distance of 270.38 KM.
In addition to the main line the division has a large number of branch lines covering Tatanagar-Badampahar, Gamharia-Kandra-Chandil, Sini-Kandra, Rajkharswan-Banspani, Padapahar-Bolani-Barbil, Bondamunda-Bimlagarh, Barsuan-Kiriburu and Rourkela-Birmitrapur sections. The importance of the route covered by the Division stems from the fact that it serves 6 major steel plants located in the region viz. Rourkela Steel Plant, Bhilai Steel Plant, Durgapur Steel plant, Bokaro steel plant, TATA Iron & Steel Company at Jamshedpur and Indian Iron & Steel Company at Burnpur. In addition, it also serves the cement belt of Bilaspur division and the heavy traffic in general merchandise on Howrah-Mumbai trunk route. The division covers some of the most difficult and picturesque terrains of South Eastern Railway passing through the verdant forest of Saranda including the two Saranda tunnels on the main line between Mahadevsal and Posoita stations. The division loads bulk requirement of iron and manganese ores, dolomite, limestone and other raw-materials for all major steel plants of the country. Two steel plants Rourkela steel plant and TISCO at Jamshedpur are located within the Division. Besides, it serves the Sponge Iron Plant at Manikui and other ancillary industries spread around the two plants as well as the cement factories located at Jhinkpani, Rajgangpur, Tatanagar, Dhutra and mini cement plants and sponge-iron manufacturing industries around Rourkela. The main commodities loaded on the division comprise raw material for steel plants, cement and other general merchandise. The Chakradharpur division has 86 stations.